Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vatican II's Twisted Tree and Rotten Fruit: The Spider to the Fly part six

VII Tricksters at Work: Caution



The Spider and the Fly

                                                   Mary Howitt

A Call to Arms Parody of Her Wise-Telling Poem

Will you walk into my [Vatican II] parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest [painless] little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my [Vatican II] parlour is up a [non straight] winding stair,
And I've a many [invalid] curious things to shew when you are there."

Oh no, no," said the [conservative] little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your [non straight] winding stair can ne'er come down again."
"I'm sure you must be [time's on my side]weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
Will you rest upon my little [hell] bed?" said the Spider to the Fly.
"There are pretty curtains drawn around; the [ill-seen] sheets are fine and thin,
And if you like to rest awhile, I'll [lie 'n]snugly [chain] tuck you in!"

Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "for I've often [Council of Trent]heard it said,
They never, never wake again, who [trust 'n don't verify ] sleep upon your bed!"
Said the [devilish] cunning Spider to the Fly, " Dear friend what can I do,
To prove [with smok'n mirrors] the warm affection I 've always felt for you?
I have within my [bag-of-tricks] pantry, good store of all that's nice;
I'm sure you're very welcome ['til you think] -- will you please to take a slice?"

"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "kind Sir [blindsighted], that cannot be,
I've heard [losing certainty] what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!"
"Sweet creature!" said the Spider, "you're [dim]witty and you're wise,
How handsome [flattery] are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
I've a little looking-glass upon my [VII] parlour shelf,
If you'll step in one moment, dear, you [blindly] shall [vainly] behold yourself."

"I thank you, gentle [HA!]sir," she said, "for what you 're pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I'll [fall'n] call another day."
The [VII] Spider turned him round about, and went into his [VII] den,
For well he knew the silly [conservative] Fly would soon come back again:
So he wove a [Motu Proprio] subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his [dinner] table ready, to [hellishly] dine upon the Fly.
Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did [novus ordo] sing,

"Come hither, [compromise] hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;
Your robes are [misguided]green and purple -- there's a crest upon your head;
Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
Hearing his [trickster's] wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;

With buzzing [Fellay-like]wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her [wishful] brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue --
Thinking only of her [dream of one]crested head -- poor foolish thing! At last,
Up jumped the cunning [VII] Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his [non straight] winding stair, into his dismal [VII]den,
Within his [death's door] little parlour -- but she ne'er came out again!

And now dear little [conservative] children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil [VII] counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment